CR Linefeed

Thursday, October 13, 2005

How to break the National Identity Register

I've just been at a public meeting of the Oxford branch of NO2ID, where a couple of MPs spoke about why they are opposed to the legislation. Before the event began a bunch of us in the office were having a database related discussion on the National Identity Register (NIR). We came up with ways to break the Register:
  • Change your name to add some funny characters like a single quote or question mark,
or best of all:
  • Turn your name into a SQL Injection Attack. I'll let you know when I've changed my name to '; DROP TABLE REGISTER;

1 Comments:

  • Hmmm, SQL attack sounds interesting.
    I was working on the Italian equivalent of the NIR, so I posed nearly the same question to the analysts. I wanted to know if I could name my son/daugther like
    2pac
    D3bo or C1p8
    viol@
    junior@brandolini.it
    Unfortunately, all of these are forbidden by the law (Obi Uan Kenobi instead is allowed). Which means that my country won't be a bit less interesting place to live in the future...

    By Blogger Unknown, at 6:40 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home